Umm...Toto?

#10—The Wizard of Oz

To finish off the top 10 of the American Film Institutes’ Top 100, I talk briefly about one of the most beloved children’s movies. I am almost positive that all of us have seen or know the story of Dorothy’s journey through Oz, so I am not going to bore you with the plot.

I will talk, however, about why it is on this list and maybe why it is so high on the list. I strongly believe that this film is on this list more for its technical achievements more than anything else. Judy Garland as Dorothy is one of the most memorable film roles of all time, but was not acted quite that great. Do not get me wrong I really have nothing against her performance; I just feel that people remember her in the role, not for her acting. Like Gone with the Wind, Oz was one the first films to be shot in color. Though the first half is in black and white, but when she reaches Oz, the film turns into color. Unlike Wind, Oz uses almost every color on the color wheel. Victor Fleming, director of Oz, puts vibrant color into every little detail of Oz.

For nostalgic reasons, I feel this film should be on this list. The memories of this film are mixed (thanks to you Katie!) but now that I am older, I love this film for my kids. The reason why the critics put this film on the list…maybe just for the way the film brings out the kid in all of us or maybe for how the film makes us feel by the end. I just do not think that it should be rated so high. As I said, this film is not known for its acting or directing, it is known for its songs and the colors that were shown to us in Oz.


Verdict: If you have not already, please watch this film…even without your kids.

Comments

Popular Posts