Such A Good Feelin'

#5—Singin’ in the Rain

During the 1950s, there was a major cultural boom that took place. Well, besides the ‘Baby Boom’. The other boom that happened was the Hollywood musical.  Musicals like South Pacific (1958), The King and I (1956), and Oklahoma (1955) splashed on the silver screen. However, #5 on AFI’s top 100 has had more pop culture impact with just a five minute song and dance number…Singin’ in the Rain.

Don Lockwood is a humble singer/dancer that has risen up the ranks of silent film stars. Paired with Lina Lamont, their love on screen is very convincing, however not shared in reality. Running away from his adoring fans after one of his film premiers, Don meets a young up and coming actress, Kathy. As Don and Kathy begin to fall in love, things begin to change for Don, professionally, by the introduction of sound in movies. With Lina having a not so flattering voice, Don and the producers of their new film must devise a way turn a flop into successful movie; and what better way than to make the film into a musical.   

Gene Kelly is a Swiss Army knife in this film. Not only does he act in the film, he sings, dances, and even directs. Kelly as an actor in this film he shines with his charm and good looks. I’m not too sure if this was a stretch for Kelly, so when it came to the singing and dancing, Kelly is amazing. I would like to say that he was amazing for his time, but watching a few modern musicals, I can whole heartedly say that he ‘dances’ circles around the modern crowd. I have really never seen a musical that has protruded so much emotion from even a single dance routine. I found myself actually smiling during some of these song/dance numbers (would be embarrassing but I don’t care). The heart of this movie, I believe, is Debbie Reynolds and her portrayal of Kathy. Included in this film, I am sure, for her beauty and talent, Reynolds really brings an innocent quality to the film that will be copied for years after this.

Kelly’s directorial part in this film is mainly in the song and dance numbers. Kelly uses every bit of space in every one of the numbers which adds to the emotion that is trying to be conveyed. As for the other director,  Stanley Donen does a great job of setting the tone of the film. This is a light hearted romantic-comedy/musical and Donen brings that out of his actors marvelously.

This film is the true essence of what Hollywood musicals are supposed to be. I am not a huge fan of musicals, but this film had me feeling upbeat and even laughing at times. Could I be singing in the rain after a viewing of this film? I’m not too proud to say, yes…yes it would.


Verdict: Worth Your Time (even if it isn’t raining)

Comments

Popular Posts