Patriot Games

Captain America: The Winter Solider

As you all know, I am a huge comic book fan. My preference is Marvel. But my allegiances lie with another superhero team that is owned by 20th Century Fox. So the thought of any member of the Avengers getting their own movie was kind of funny. I will admit after Phase One of Marvels plan, I am eating my words with a happy smile on my face. Phase Two has gotten off to a great start with Iron Man 3 and Thor: The Dark World. Now starts the bridge to Avengers: Age of Ultron.

Winter Solider picks up two years after the events of The Avengers. Cap is still trying to adjust to his new surroundings and also trying to side step the politics of the new government agency Cap works for. Without giving major plot points of the film, this is basically all I can tell you. A few new characters are introduced such as Sam Wilson (The Falcon) and Alexander Pierce (Head of SHIELD) and a few familiar characters return.

This film is more Bourne Identity than First Avenger and I loved every minute of it. This is not like any other comic book movie because it doesn’t follow the normal formula. This felt more like a plot from a James Bond film with a Marvel twist.

The first time I heard that Chris Evans was going to be Captain America, I laughed out loud. Well, that is another grain added to the happy word eating cereal I am eating. This time around I really thought that Evans stepped up his game and really proved to me that he was Captain America. Evans has a presence in this film that commands attention and when he delivers his lines he sounds like he believes his words.

Brother directors, Anthony and Joe Russo, have jumped genres in a huge way. Best known for their work on Community and You, Me, and Dupree, the Russos have produced a very interesting and exciting film. The only problem I have with their direction is the ‘shaky cam’. Action directors of late have decided to use what is called ‘shaky cam’, which is a term for the camera angels that follow the action in a fight scene. This camera work is more nauseating than anything. Other than that, I was impressed the way these directors handled this film of that magnitude.

Even if you aren’t a comic book fan or even a Captain America fan, Winter Solider is still a good film. There is plenty of action and suspense to keep you engaged and cheer for the good guys. Also because of this film and I am officially apologizing to Chris Evans for laughing at the thought he could actually pull of holding that infamous shield. I AM SORRY MR. EVANS, YOU DID GREAT!


Verdict: Watch in Theatres!

Comments

Popular Posts