Been There, Done That

Transcendence

The topic of artificial intelligence (A.I) can be a controversial one. Many scientists revel in the idea of super computer thinking for itself. Making life easier and essentially making the world better for all mankind. Other scientists, however, fear the idea of A.I. In an article he co-wrote for The Independent, Stephen Hawking called the success of creating A.I “would be the biggest event in human history. Unfortunately, it might also be our last.” Ironically a lot of films agree with Hawking’s statement and visually showing human ignorance about A.I and the dire consequences that could happen. Movies like The Terminator and The Matrix show that A.I have taken over and tried to wipe out the ‘virus’ called human beings. Warner Bros.’ new film pose the same concerns about A.I in Transcendence.

Dr. Will Caster (Johnny Depp Pirates of the Caribbean) is one of the top scientific minds and ‘voice’ for A.I super computers. But when a group of radical terrorists attacks A.I research facilities and poisons Caster, his wife Evelyn (Rebecca Hall The Town) and his best friend Max (Paul Bettany Legion) scramble to find a way to save Caster’s life. So what better way to save the leading mind in A.I than to upload his brain function onto an A.I computer Caster was working on? But after a short time, Max starts to pounder the consequences of what he has done and begins to fear what the terrorists have been protesting all along.

This was a difficult movie to review for a couple reasons. First would be that the film was very well shot, mainly because first time director Wally Pfister was a Director of Photography for many of Christopher Nolan’s films. Filming the movie in many different angles and using many different colors to bring out the artistic value of the film was great. But on the flip side of this, being a first time director Pfister doesn’t get the best out of his amazing cast. The acting is very lack luster and didn’t give me the faith that the actors really believe what they are saying. Another positive for the film is that for the most part the film stays with the realistic possibilities. Unlike The Matrix films, where A.I took over and now growing humans in ‘fields’ for energy, Transcendence tries to show the ‘humanistic’ side of A.I and its attempt to save the world. But then again, no matter the realism that Transcendence provides the film doesn’t break new ground with its plot. Most A.I films just like Transcendence can be summed up by Dr. Alan Grant (Sam Neill character) in Jurassic Park III, “some of the worst things imaginable have been done with the best intentions.”

As I mentioned above, Pfister serves as director for this ‘thriller’. I would like to think that if given more opportunities to hone his directorial skills, Pfister will be a decent director. Worrying about how beautifully visual your film is should go hand in hand with getting the best from your actors. Maybe spending more time with Nolan would help as well.

Not knowing how I really feel about this film bites the big one. I didn’t hate the film nor did I particularly like it. The good and the bad aspects of this film counter balance themselves. Thinking more on it now, I guess I would have liked the movie more if I didn’t feel like I have seen this plot play out many times before.




The Verdict: Watch On Cable.

Comments

Popular Posts