La-Di-Da

Annie Hall


Once again I have found myself back to the illustrious American Film Institute’s 100 Years…100 Movies list. I really think that my passion and love for movies and grown deeper with every film I watch off of this list. Mainly because I am starting appreciate more where film has progressed over the past 100+ years. Though, as I sit here and say all of these things (which I do mean), I can’t help but try not to let my personal bias affect some of the choices on this list. I think that is most true with number 35 of the AFI Top 100…Annie Hall.

Looking back on his past relationship, Alvy Singer (Woody Allen To Rome With Love) tries to find the cause of his break up with an up and coming singer Annie Hall (Diane Keaton Love the Coopers). The film follows Alvy and Annie’s relationship through their good times and their bad times, but the one thing that seems to always arise is how much Alvy truly does love Annie.

What I find most funny about this film is that Allen has gone on record and stated that this isn’t the film he set out to make. Allen considers this a mistake and yet this film is considered his greatest achievement. Goes to show you that even mistakes can turn out okay. Though, my personal feeling about the film is on the polar opposite of most film critics. I never found the appeal and I couldn’t get comfortable with the characters. I may have let my personal feelings toward Allen cloud my judgement a little, but I have never found Allen funny. Allen’s humor is that of very sarcastic and sometimes self-deprecating. I also wonder if the reason I didn’t really care for the film is because of the high saturated genre of romantic comedy. Maybe because of my age I have seen A LOT of films just like this.

I believe that praise is certainly due for Keaton’s performance as Annie. Keaton’s take on Annie is that of a whimsical innocence and a strong progression into independence.  During the beginning of the film we see Annie as a young and naïve girl who attaches to Alvy, an older and more life-experienced man. However, as the film continues we see that Annie starts to see Alvy has a bitter man and tries to find the things that make her happy which leads to her branching into professional singing. Keaton is able to transcend Annie very subtly, all the while still able to hold onto the innocence that made the audience like her in the beginning.

Even though I didn’t particularly find the script funny, I can still appreciate the wit and love that Allen poured into the words. Allen’s love for Keaton and Manhattan is very apparent throughout the film, but I just never really liked the jokes. Maybe one day I will watch the film again and have a different take or a change of heart, but at this moment I am confounded on why this film is on this list. If anyone out there can maybe explain it to me that would be great!


The Verdict (as of right now): Not Worth Your Time. 



Comments

Popular Posts