Foreign Correspondent

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

I think that it is safe to say that everyone has had that little moment in their life when they feel that they are at a crossroads. One path can take you to safety and comfortability and nothing in your life changes. This path is the one of fear, fear of the unknown and things that may or may not happen. The second path is one of uncertainty where you brace yourself for the endless possibilities, good or bad. I’ve had a moment like that, that is why I started writing these reviews. I wanted change and I needed to jump start it somehow. Much like the main character in Paramount Pictures newest dramedy, Whiskey Tango Foxtrot.

Based on the real life events, Whiskey Tango Foxtrot centers around a copy write editor for a cable news station who gets an offer to change her life. Childless and unmarried, Kim Baker (Tina Fey 30 Rock) is given a chance to become a war correspondent during Operation: Enduring Freedom in Afghanistan. While there she learns to take chances and to live a little. Baker forms friendships with other reporters, a photojournalist named Iain MacKelpie (Martin Freeman Sherlock), and an Attorney General for the Islamic Republic of Afghanistan (Alfred Molina Spider-Man 2). Though during the course of her few years in Afghanistan, Baker’s newly formed friendships and relationships back in the States will be tested.

I know this is going to sound weird, but I was actually inspired by this film. This is not, by any means, an Oscar winning film or a film that is going to change the world; however the point of the story is to live a little and take chances and that is what I have been inspired to do. I thought that this film was done just right to give the sense of entertainment. I don’t think the filmmakers had any hidden political agendas or global change on their minds, but I do think that the feeling of accomplishment was what they were aiming for.

I will begin this paragraph by stating that I never was a fan of 30 Rock. I do, however, enjoy Tina Fey very much. Especially her stint with SNL. This film is a perfect example of Fey’s dry wit and humor, though there are parts of the film that she gets serious. In those scenes is where I think Fey shines with this film. She flexes her dramatic muscles and gets the audience to believe that she is not just a comedian. Impressed am I every time I watch something new with Freeman too. Donning a Scottish accent for the film, Freeman has somehow washed away the clumsy and awkward persona and here puts people on notice that there is more to him that a little Hobbit.

Through different stages of the film, directors Glenn Ficarra and John Requa (Focus) do a marvelous job of creating a documentary feel to the film. Bringing the audience into what it must be like for a war reporter in a foreign land. Along with that feat, Ficarra and Requa bring out the humor in certain situations and the seriousness in others. I do think there are times during the film that the gore was not necessary to tell their story, but overall they shaped together a very decent film.

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot is definitely for Tina Fey fans and is a good starting point for people not sure about her. I thought that Fey did an excellent job juggling the comedy and the drama in all of her scenes and Freeman was outstanding as usual. I know that you all may not have the same reaction that I did to the film, but I assure you that Whiskey Tango Foxtrot will at least entertain you.


The Verdict: Worth Your Time.




Comments

Popular Posts