I Got The Need...

Need for Speed

Films are made to spark an emotion or feeling within the audience that maybe they can’t experience in their normal lives. Well, maybe heartache and loss. I’m talking about pulse pounding adrenaline you may only get from a good action film or horror film. Then again, you may also be able to capture those intense feelings from a good car racing movie. Over the past 13 years, Universal Studios has graced us with The Fast and the Furious franchise and of course, other studios have tried to ride FF’s success without triumph (I would give anything to block Biker Boyz out of my mind). Though this year DreamWorks has come pretty close with Need for Speed.

Very loosely based on the Electronic Arts video game of the same name, Need for Speed follows Toby Mitchell (Aaron Paul Breaking Bad) on his quest across country to avenge the death of a close friend that he was wrongfully accused of killing. To do this, Tobey must muster up his crew, a car, and an invitation to a very secret street race in California.

Off the bat, I am going to admit that I don’t really like racing movies and I don’t really care about the Fast & Furious franchise (Vin Diesel needs to learn some range). So when I learned that DreamWorks is going to try again for a racing film, I immediately dismissed it. Though, being the reviewer that I am, gave the movie a watch and I have to say that I was pleasantly surprised. I think what I was most surprised about was that it wasn’t really about the cars or the racing. At the heart of the film, it is more about the love for the people closest to you. Also, the acting was pretty good as well. Aaron Paul does a great job proving to movie goers that he is capable of headlining a major motion picture and is one his way from stepping out of Jessie Pinkerton’s shadow (his character’s name on Breaking Bad for those that haven’t seen that amazing show). The supporting cast wasn’t bad either, though mixed with some unknowns. The one that you might recognize is Dominic Cooper who plays the villain, Dino Brewster. Cooper his best known for his role as Howard Stark, Iron Man’s daddy, in Captain America: First Avenger. Michael Keaton also sneaks in the film with a very animated, yet minor, role.
Given the small budget, director Scott Waugh does a lot with a little. With his first film, Act of Valor (not a bad Navy SEAL movie), Waugh proved that he was able to film a decent action film. Now Waugh has shown that he can film some good car races as well. Though I guess with his background in stunts and stunt coordinating, I really shouldn’t be surprised. Action aside though, Waugh does a great job getting to the characters and making sure that the film was about them and not so much the pretty cars.

Is this an Oscar contender…no. That is how this film should be viewed, don’t expect too much out of it and you will be pleasantly surprised. I was expecting another knock-off and what I got, in my opinion, is something better.

The Verdict: Worth Your Time.

Comments

Popular Posts