War Games

Ender’s Game

I think among the many genres of film, I tend to prefer science fiction. This genre is what movies should be made for. No other genre takes you to a far off place in, maybe even, a far off time. If in deep space or right here on Earth, this genre allows us to see what things could be. Minority Report showed us how to stop crime before it happens, while Close Encounters of the Third Kind made us believe in little green men. The latest addition to this genre is Ender’s Game.

50 years ago, an alien race tried to invade Earth and wipe humanity off the planet. They failed and since our victory, humans have elected to have the smartest children try for Battle School. One of those children is Andrew “Ender” Wiggins. Ender is noticed by Colonel Hyrum Graff, who is in command of the training of those selected to Battle School. Graff is in strong belief that Ender is the great leader that Earth needs in its war against the “Buggers”. Ender must now decide if he can put his compassion aside and be the leader Graff thinks he is.

Another film that has joined the list this year (2013) of movies based on books. Though I have not read this book either, but believe me it is on my short list, I have nothing to compare the film to. In this case, I think that worked out in the films favor. I was intrigued by this film during the whole time. Though some scenes didn’t mesh well with the whole story, I still believe this is another underrated film of 2013. The effects were amazing and even though the plot wasn’t astonishing, it was believable. I know that most science fiction is supposed to suspend belief and it does on some levels, but I still like to have some sort of reality in my science fiction. I also think that this was more of a character driven sci-fi film than most are. Others concern themselves with the effects and not really the story, but this film was how a boy must live up to the expectations of his peers and his superiors.

Asa Butterfield (The Boy in the Stripped Pajama’s, Hugo) plays Ender and does a wonderful job. I was especially fascinated with him when he was in scenes with the likes of Harrison Ford and Ben Kingsley. Both distinguished actors in their own right and both done a good job in this film, but the intense arguments Butterfield would have with both actors were impressive. Butterfield’s supporting cast of recruits do an admirable as well, just nothing that really jumps off the page to single out.

That goes along with the director Gavin Hood (Rendition, X-Men Origins: Wolverine). Didn’t do a bad job, but didn’t really do a great one either. I think he got what he needed from his actors and that was just enough.  I believe that with the right director and even screenwriter, this film would have been great.

If you enjoy sci-fi as much as I do, I think you will enjoy this film as well. It is also great for those of you with sons. It isn’t violent at all and it has a strong young lead. And hey, if they enjoy the film, they might even read the book…


The Verdict: Watch on Blu-Ray

Comments

Popular Posts