My Two Cents: Summer 2017

Thoughts About the Summer.


So the summer has pretty much come to an end and I have come out of this movie season even more pessimistic than when I went into it. I’m not entirely sure what has happened to Summer Blockbuster season and I’m not sure when it started, but we (the audience) have been served up some highly disappointing movies. Now, have the selection all been duds? No they haven’t, but I feel that we deserve better than this.
I think the quality of product that has been given to us is part of my departure from this blog. I’m tired of being disappointed in the quality of movie that we are given and then to have to relive it is depressing. I don’t know about you, but I don’t like to think negatively all the time especially when it comes to something that I love.

Maybe my grips are not with films as a whole, but maybe the big time releases. Think about it…Wonder Woman, Spider-Man: Homecoming, and  of course Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 were the tent poles of the summer. However, what about The Mummy, Transformers 5, and even Pirates of the Caribbean 5? These are movies that were marketed highly and pushed us to give them our money, but did they deserve it?

I spent most of my summer catching up on T.V shows that I have lost touch on like The Big Bang Theory and Modern Family. Not bad shows by any stretch, but shows that I have unfortunately lost touch with due to many life interruptions. Now that I don’t want to make my way to the local Cineplex, I have a whole lot of more time to catch up on these shows.

I just think with all the time and effort it takes for these studios to produce and release each one of these movies, I would expect a better product. Especially when we are basically living in another golden age of television with shows like Game of Thrones, Orange is the New Black, and This Is Us. Not completely fair to compare film to television since tv shows have time to flesh out characters and plots, but then again we have had five Transformers movies and the movies are still shit.

Am I a snob? Maybe I expect too much from Hollywood. Then again, sometimes I would love to sit in those production meetings or film pitches and yell at the top of my lungs and say NO WE DON’T NEED A BAYWATCH MOVIE or ANOTHER SAW FILM! If that makes me a snob, then bring it on. That just means that I am going to have to look extra hard for films that are going to be worth my time and your time.






Comments

Popular Posts