Gripes from a Coddled Youth

People (2016)

Hi again everyone! I know that the separation anxiety hasn’t really set in between the two of us, but I just thought I would ingratiate you with my presence some more before I lose myself in some more films I have been adding to every streaming service you could think of. I honestly don’t know how I have a full time job with so much film I could be watching. Eh anyway, the next film that I am going to add to my diary is one that I was asked to review, which for me is pretty special because I aim to be recognized for my opinion on film and starting somewhere is always a start. The request come over my Twitter feed, which any of you can contact me that way as well, and so I graciously accepted. KONO Productions and Old Quarter Films presents People.

People is a film six seemingly unrelated stories that find their way together toward the conclusion. Each story is presented as conversations between a couple people in normal settings such as a restaurant, a car ride, and even a phone call. Topics of said conversations range from how Hollywood is ruining the true meaning of filmmaking and War politics to generation squabbles and conspiracy theories. With a short run time (84 minutes) there is really not much else I can say without spoiling the film, which you all know I loathe doing.

After viewing the film, I had this sense of déjà vu and not in the sense that I have seen this same plot run out in many different films, but in a sense where I have seen an independent film spark a career of a filmmaker. People is (sorry I know this is cliché) like watching these same conversations happen during real life. I am not going to go as far as saying that the film is brutally honest, but it does seem like writer/director Shane McGoey had something to say about a few of these topics. I enjoyed how McGoey gave two sides to both ends of the conversation (except about Hollywood, which I am sure was slightly autobiographical) and never came across as preachy. Honestly the film reminded me of Kevin Smith’s Clerks. Both films seem to be just a window into the lives of ordinary people and their opinions on life, though People never mentions Star Wars and I found that highly disappointing…just kidding. I do have to say that this film has better acting, especially from Mustafa Harris and Christine Lekas. Harris represents the autobiographical (hypothetically) filmmaker who proceeds to go on a rant about how Hollywood is destroying true filmmaking, while on the phone with some production company goons. Harris displays some true passion and extreme belief in his words which makes that monologue one the best things about this film. Lekas’ character who is a Millennial with daddy issues who we meet in a therapy session with a much older councilor. Here is where the generational debate ensues and I loved how McGoey represents this with a trip to the therapist. The therapist, who has worked hard for everything that he has accomplished, sits and listens to the young Millennial with issues that she may have created just to get attention. The reason I appreciated this segment so much is because I am from a generation stuck in the middle of both that are represented here, so I can see both sides of this conversation. During this part of the film, Lekas comes across as vulnerable, strong, and narcissistic all in one scene and I thought that was very impressive. She weaves in and out of these traits so fluidly it was hard to keep up with which one she was at any given time.

I would say that my only problem with the film is that a couple of the conversations seemed slightly dated; especially the politics about war and what love is to different people. The politics segment could have been changed to something more relevant to what is going on now, because the argument about whether the US needs to be in the Middle East or Afghanistan is a conversation that was for at least 7-8 years in the past. Maybe McGoey could have signified this segment with Immigration politics since that has been arisen in the past couple years thanks to our President. As far has the topic of what Love or even monogamy is a topic that was created by people to dignify cheating or sleeping around and the argument will never end and this scene went on too long making one character seem like a complete douche and the other weak.

I would like to say that this is a promising start for McGoey and in my opinion (of course is bias) not too bad being compared to one of the best Independent films of all time. The camera work and acting was impressive and I say that with hopes of not coming across pretentious. If you do get a chance to see this film, I do recommend it as I know that it hits iTunes on May 1st.


Worth Your Time.





Comments

Popular Posts