Limb is Mightier than the Thumb

#46—It Happened One Night

Good day to all you fine readers out there. Once again I have circled back around to my Everest of a watch list, the American Film Institute’s 100 Years…100 Movies. I swear I am going to finish this list one day and it is going to be a huge celebration in my own head! Today we are going to talk about one of the most parodied romantic comedies in cinematic history. You all my not realize it when you are watching other romantic comedies, but most these genre film use many aspects of this film. Ironically even one world famous cartoon bunny would be inspired by a character from this film. Number 46 on AFI’s Top 100 list is director Frank Capra’s (It’s A Wonderful Life) quintessential romantic comedy It Happened One Night.

Going against her father’s wishes, Ellie Andrews (Claudette Colbert Private Worlds) has eloped with fortune hunter King Westley (Jameson Thomas). Though Ellie’s father has thought of a way to keep the two apart…locking her up on his yacht in Miami until the day she dies. Feisty and determined, Ellie weasels her way out of her cabin and decides to jump overboard and swim to shore. Ellie scraps together a little money and has purchased a bus ticket from Miami to New York City to be with her husband. On the same bus is recently fired newspaper reporter Peter Warne (Clark Gable Gone with the Wind) who is looking for a scoop when Ellie, the runaway heiress, has dropped in his lap. Though during their trip together, something happens to Ellie and Peter that neither of them planned for.

There is definitely something about romantic comedies during the 1930’s and 1940’s that changes my whole view on the genre itself. Today’s romantic comedies all have the same formula and have become somewhat stale and even though I know that all romantic comedies of now have taken their cues from comedies of the 30s and 40s, I just find them more whole some. Due to social anxieties of the times, the classic romantic comedies aren’t hung up on the sex aspect of the film and focus more on the love and comedy. I’m starting to sound like my late aunt, bless her soul. She used to tell me that movies from this era used to bring out a calmer and happier feeling than movies of today; I’m starting to agree with her more and more. I did find myself really euphoric watching this film. The chemistry between the two leads was great and the simple story was very heartwarming, especially toward the end. Though the one thing that did unnerve me about this time is the pure chauvinistic aspect. A few times Gable’s character does mention that hitting Colbert would set her straight, but I looked past that as ignorance of the time period.  

I admittedly haven’t really seen any of films starring Gable, except Wind, so that image of Gable as Rhett is the only picture I have of him. Now, after watching this film, I can see why Gable was so popular during this time. Gable has such a knack for owning his characters. Gable’s Peter Warne starts off the film with such pessimism that by the end of the film he is such a different character filled with love and optimism. Same with Colbert’s character as she starts of spoiled and ill-equipped to handle the world, but she finds the true value of love through her adventures with Warne.

With this being Capra’s third film on AFI’s list, it is hard to come up with new ways to praise the wonderful director. I will say that I can truly see the boundaries that Capra tried to push with this film. Showing a little skin by both of the lead actors during a very prudish time in our history was very taboo. I can just picture Capra has one of those Tarantino type directors of the 30s and 40s that just wanted to see how far he could go before people turned away. This aspect of his filmmaking is why I have grown more respect for him as I go through my odyssey through film.
Like The Philadelphia Story a couple places above, It Happened One Night is a feel good classic movie that is perfectly placed on this list. The first film to win the ‘Big 5’ (Best Picture, Actor, Actress, Director, and Screenplay) on Oscar night, One Night encompasses what it means to fall in love and the odd places that we find love. Please take a cue from my aunt and check this out; feel good about yourself with pure hearted comedy.


Perfectly Placed. Worth Your Time.





Comments

Popular Posts