The Hills Are Alive With...

#40—The Sound of Music

When I mention the name Julie Andrews, I am sure that every one of you has a vision of her. Mine is that of one of two of her iconic film roles, Mary Poppins. A caregiver that flew in with the wind to help a grumpy English banker with his children. Andrews lit up the screen with her charm, grace, and unbelievable singing voice. For the longest time I have always associated Andrews with this Walt Disney classic, but since I have made my journey through the American Film Institute’s 100 Years…100 Movies list I have come to Andrews’ other iconic role. Number 40 on the list is full of just as memorable songs and charisma that will be associated with the wonderful Julie Andrews. I present my take on The Sound of Music.

Set in pre-World War II Austria, Maria (Andrews) is a young woman inspiring to become a nun; however she is a free spirit full of love and song. In an attempt to ground her a bit the head nun decides to send Maria to the home of a decorated navel captain, Georg Von Trapp (Christopher Plummer The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo), and his seven unruly children to become the children’s new governess (nanny). With determination and unwavering resolve, Maria breaks through to the children and most importantly to their hard-nosed military father. What Maria and the Von Trapp family don’t realize is there is a bigger threat to their family lurking from a neighboring country.

As I mentioned in my review of one other musical on AFI’s list (#5 can read here), I have never been a huge fan of musicals. However, I can say that after going through this list I have amounted a much deeper respect for the genre. The problem that I found with this musical is that the songs outperform anything else in this film. I know that I am going to be strung up for this probably but I just didn’t like this movie. The plot didn’t flow very well and some character sequences seemed unneeded. I didn’t like how the children become to like Maria so quickly, I didn’t like how easily the Captain broke out of his mold, and the character of Rolfe (Daniel Truhitte) just seemed unnecessary.

Of course the only redeeming quality that this film had was its lead actress. One year removed from Mary Poppins, Andrews graced the screen in this musical and brought everything lovable about her. Her charm and pure likability is what makes her so delightful. I just don’t think this film would have done as well as it did if they found someone else to play the part of Maria. Though and a nitpicking aspect, the filmmakers really didn’t try to separate Andrews’ Maria character from her Mary Poppins character. The major difference that I found with Maria is her innocence is a little more apparent, where Poppins was more experienced and worldly.

Academy Award winning director Robert Wise (West Side Story) brings the Rodgers and Hammerstein stage musical to the silver screen. Having some experience with musicals, Wise brings together the music and dancing together quite well. I believe the best aspects of this film Wise does the best is the grand wide shots of the Austrian countryside. Especially with the recognizable opening sequence and the panoramic views of the Alps and Andrews singing the film’s titular song.

Maybe I’m too much of a cynic or I have failed to see the classic appeal of this film. I guess what baffles me the most is that after looking over the movies on the AFI’s list, I am stunned to learned that Mary Poppins is nowhere to be found. I personally believe that Poppins was better role for Andrews and a much better movie. Of course that is just the opinion of a lowly armature film critic. If you are a fan of Julie Andrews, The Sound of Music is a must see, but if you were looking to check out a great musical I will be more than happy to give you a list of much better films including director Wise’s West Side Story.


The Verdict: Shouldn’t Be On List






Comments

Popular Posts