Love Is In the Air

Angry Nerd’s Top 5 Romantic Comedies

In lieu of Valentine’s Day being just around the corner, I thought I would take it upon myself to compile a list of my top Romantic Comedies. It is not very hard for me to admit that I am a hopeless romantic at heart and that I actually enjoy this subgenre. I think that it is the light-hearted, feel goodness of the genre, but I get really uplifted when the couple eventual submits to their feelings and falls in love with each other. Of course I understand that this genre is very formulamatic and that most of these films are the same, but sometimes we need the monotony in our film lives. Well, anyway on to the list…

#5—Serendipity

During a chance meeting John Cusack (Love & Mercy) and Kate Beckinsale (Underworld) spend a random night doing random date-like things throughout Manhattan. But when the night comes to an end, Beckinsale tells Cusack that she is going to leave it up to fate to see if they will meet again by writing her full name and number inside a used book she sells to a street vendor and buys a soda with a five dollar bill with Cusack’s information on it. Fast forward five years into the future and fate has finally worked them back together, however both characters have obstacles in the way of being together.

I loved the different take on love and soulmate aspect. We, as a culture, talk a lot about ‘we were meant to be together’ and this film takes that a step further. Of course the performances weren’t bad either. Cusack plays the lovable everyman and Beckinsale portrays the New Age woman very well. The film is also directed very well and gives the audience a sense of peace at the end of the film.

#4—Notting Hill

Falling in love with movie stars is an everyday occurrence, but what if you really had the chance to fall in love with a movie star? Well in this Richard Curtis (Love, Actually) written and Roger Michell (Morning Glory) directed comedy, Hugh Grant’s (The Man from U.N.C.L.E.) William Thacker gets just that chance. However, he quickly learns that loving someone that everyone else loves as well isn’t as glamourous at he thought.

You can’t have a list like this without at least one of Richard Curtis’ films. The New Zealand product has created some of the most memorable romantic movies with films like Four Weddings and a Funeral and About Time. I personally believe that Notting Hill will go down as his best and I believe this because of the different aspect of the film. The male/female roles in this film are switched and I think it gave a new perspective on the love lives of men as well. The acting, comedy, and directing is all top notch as well. Remember she is just a girl asking a boy to love her.

#3—Chasing Amy

A love story for the 90’s, Chasing Amy brings out a world that was only really hinted at in cinema during the late 90’s. Comic book writer/artist Holden McNeil (Ben Affleck Batman v. Superman) falls head over heels with another artist named Alyssa Jones (Joey Lauren Adams Big Daddy), however she just so happens to be a lesbian. What is a man to do? Well he can try to revert her back to being straight so they can live happily ever after.

Like Notting Hill for Richard Curtis, Chasing Amy should (and most likely will) go down as writer/director Kevin Smith’s (Clerks) greatest films. As outstanding as Clerks and Mallrats were for Smith, Chasing Amy is his most heartfelt and deeply moving films. Not a complete departure from his previous films, but Amy has a more emotional undertone that goes along with Smith’s signature comedy that makes this film one of my favorite of all time.

#2—Pretty Woman

I think that this is the perfect example of how I am a sap at heart. Garry Marshall’s (The Princess Diaries) ultimate Cinderella story is about a businessman (Richard Gere Chicago) who falls in love with a ‘working girl’ (Julia Roberts Notting Hill). Like most romantic comedies, not everything goes as to plan.

As I sit here and question my own sexuality, I can help but smile just thinking of Gere driving up to Roberts’ apartment in a limo, sticking is body out of the sunroof with a bouquet of flowers. The film that made Roberts America’s sweetheart for a good decade will always be somewhere on someone’s list of Romantic Comedies. It is the embodiments of every woman’s fantasy to have a rich, good-looking man steal her away from the mundane life that she leads. The chemistry between the two leads is undeniable and the wonderful direction will have you cheer every time you see this film.

#1—Love, Actually

Okay, so I fully admit that I am a huge Richard Curtis fan. I know that two of his movies are now on this list, but I absolutely adore Love, Actually. The film follows many different love stories that are connected to each other in the film. This movie shows the emotion of love from so many different viewpoints that it is so difficult to not feel connected with every story. From a school yard crush to falling in love with someone else’s lady, Love, Actually is one of the greatest romantic comedies out there. I loved every performance and the warm feelings that Curtis leaves you with at the end of this film. Not only my favorite romantic comedies, but a film that is among my very favorite movies of all time.

I know that this list was a little unorthodox, but these are my favorites. Please share your all-time favorite or favorites; it’s nice to hear different perspectives.







Comments

Popular Posts