Like Father, Like Son

Creed

I know that I have ranted and raved on and on about how Hollywood needs to be more original and stop circling back to movies or franchises long dead. Of course all of these rants have fallen on deaf ears, but a few days ago I paused and thought about a loop hole in my rants. That loop hole is “passing of the torch” kind of movies. Example… Star Wars: The Force Awakens. The sequel trilogy contains much of the same characters, but introduces brand new characters to further the story. What made me spark this thought you ask, well it was when I viewed Warner Bros. and MGM’s newest film Creed.

Adonis "Donnie" Johnson (Michael B. Jordan Fantastic Four) has been fighting his whole life. Some say that Donnie fights because he is angry, but others know that fighting is in his blood. Donnie’s father just happens to be legendary boxer, Apollo Creed. Growing up with the urge to fight, Donnie feels that it is his time to make a name for himself and step out from behind his father’s shadow. By doing this he is going to need help and who better to ask for help than one time opponent and friend of Creed’s, Rocky Balboa (Sylvester Stallone The Expendables). Hesitant at first, Rocky decides that he should help Donnie become the boxer that he wants to be. With his rise among the boxing elite, Donnie runs into some speed bumps, physically and emotionally, but it is Donnie’s time to make Creed his name and create his own legend.

Openly going to admit that I thought the concept for this movie was absurd and that MGM need that have Rocky fade into the sunset. I was blown back by how wrong I was. I actually found myself routing on Jordan and really connecting with his performance. Young director Ryan Coogler (Fruitvale Station) has also give audiences around the world another film worth very high praise. I loved the boxing matches and the emotional connection that builds between Donnie and Rocky.

Michael B. Jordan is definitely showing people that he is capable of being a leading man in Hollywood. Jordan expresses Donnie’s inner struggles very well.  What I found most impressive is when Jordan starts to break down the walls that surround his character and begins to trust Rocky. Jordan has no problem carrying this movie and I would expect that other directors will see the same. I was also impressed with Stallone’s seventh take as the famous boxer. Rocky here is a humble guy who believes that he needs to make up for past mistakes. Stallone exudes sensitivity that will not be seen in a lot of his movies. Stallone shows that Rocky genuinely cares for Donnie and wants nothing more than to protect him.

I LOVED Coogler’s direction in this film. Showing the grittiness of the sport mirrored in the locations shot around Philadelphia. Coogler also uses that camera in a magnificent way, especially in the fighting scenes. Coogler incorporates a continuous take in the boxing matches and makes the audience feel like it was a real fight. This type of shot is also used while Donnie is coming out of the tunnel for the final match, again giving the audience the feeling that they are there walking with Donnie to the ring.

If I had to nitpick at the movie however, there is a subplot to the film that I thought was completely unnecessary. The momentum of the film is running full force and then the writers and director drop this subplot right in the last quarter of the film which brings the film to an almost screeching halt.  Sorry that I won’t go into details, but I will not reveal any spoilers to the film.

Creed is more of an emotional drama than a boxing film and complements the Rocky franchise really well. The film does set itself up for a sequel and I wouldn’t be surprised if it happens. Not only can audiences connect to Jordan in the film, the film itself is a powerful ride that I know most of you will enjoy.


The Verdict: Worth Your Time.





Comments

Popular Posts