The Great Outdoors

Wild

Finding oneself can be a very difficult thing to do. This might be especially hard after a person has suffered a tragic loss or been through some hard times. Veering off track can be damaging for the person spinning out of control and the people they care about the most. However when that moment of clarity comes, our world will right itself again and everything will be as it was before. To achieve that moment a lot of people meditate or even seek a professional help. I have also heard of people escaping the world and it’s distractions to find what they were looking for. A lot like the main character is last year’s Oscar-nominated film, Wild.

Based very closely to the memoir, Wild takes a peek into the life of Cheryl Strayed (Reese Witherspoon Walk the Line) and the incredible journey she embarked on. During a very tumultuous time in her life, Cheryl decided to find her ‘best self’ by hiking on the Pacific Crest Trail. Along the way Cheryl meets all kinds of people that help her achieve her goal, but the one person she needs to rely on is herself.

I am going to admit something that I am not very proud of. I went into this film believing that is going to be nothing more than a ‘girl power’ type movie and was bracing myself for large amounts of estrogen to come spilling off the screen. I know, I know I am horrible. I was pleasantly surprised, however. I found that this film not only speaks to the wannabe strong women around the globe, but it also speaks to anyone that needs to reconnect to the person everyone loves within themselves.
This film was a good departure from the ‘America’s Sweetheart’ image that Witherspoon is mainly known for. It’s not a huge stretch, but I can’t remember ever seeing this much of Reese. Besides the sexual content of the film, Witherspoon is able to break her character down to her lowest point and slowly build her back up. Witherspoon also does a magnificent job showing Cheryl’s inner struggles with the self-inflicted and outside problems she has to deal with. Even though Laura Dern (The Fault in Our Stars) was nominated for an Oscar as Cheryl’s mother Bobbi, I didn’t see why. Dern is an amazing actress for sure, but she is not in the film very long. I will admit that Dern brings certain sunniness to the screen whenever she is on it, but I don’t really think she should have been nominated for 10 mins worth of work.

Wild is French director Jean-Marc Vallée’s follow up to the extraordinary The Dallas Buyers Club. Vallée does not short the audience with glorious visuals. Capturing the landscape as it changes with Cheryl’s view on her life I thought was amazing. Cheryl starts off in the desert where it is brown and grey along with her feelings. However, as Cheryl transcends into a better state of mind, the landscape becomes more green and lush. Vallée also does a great job of incorporating Cheryl’s inner monologue  so that the audience can become more personable with Cheryl.

I was completely transfixed by the visuals and the star of this film. Wild speaks to so many people who want to listen to it’s message. I can admit that I was wrong about this film and for men like me please give this film a try, I promise if you let it Wild can be a heartwarming and inspiring film.


The Verdict: Worth Your Time.






Comments

Popular Posts