Child's Play

Ted 2

Well dear faithful readers my distain for sequels has grown exponentially over the last two films that I have viewed. Three years ago the world was given a unique way at looking at the reality of our childish wishes coming true. A sweet, lovable teddy bear ‘grew up’ to be a pot smoking, foul mouthed toy. I wasn’t really sure why Ted warranted a sequel but here we are, being subjected to more of how far Seth MacFarlane (Family Guy) can push the limits with his material. However, as I have mentioned before…I do this to myself.

So what could possibly be more ridiculous than a stoned, drunk talking teddy bear? How about that same bear looking to adopt a child with his new wife. However, the newlyweds are denied by the Commonwealth of Massachusetts due to the fact that Ted (voiced by MacFarlane) is not a person (gasp!). So what does Ted and John (Mark Wahlberg The Gambler) decide to do? Sue Massachusetts. Yep, it has gotten this ludicrous.

So confession time, I actually liked the first film. I thought that the humor was good and shockingly there was an actually message behind the whole outlandish concept. I can watch Family Guy in small doses and didn’t think A Million Ways to Die in the West was all that horrible. BUT, MacFarlane needs to find his limit and his limit should be sequels to movies like his. Ted should have been a one-time thing and MacFarlane should’ve moved on.

I think Wahlberg’s character seemed to have gotten dumber. Didn’t realize that was possible. As for the rest of the cast…I think this film will be a film to forget on all of their resumes. Don’t get me wrong, I think Wahlberg and a couple others in the cast have great comedic timing, however it seemed like even they were even uncomfortable with how far MacFarlane was pushing the envelope. Plus in this film the comedy was pushing more toward Half Baked and less from Animal House.

Nonetheless, there was one scene that did make me laugh out loud involving Liam Neeson. I apologize if this is too short and sweet, but I just feel that some writers/directors/studio heads should know when to quit (hint, hint Michael Bay!). MacFarlane is by no means a horrible director or writer, but I think you get one great gallon of milk from a particular cow and after than LEAVE IT ALONE. Of course if you follow everything that MacFarlane does, I’m sure that you will find this film hilarious and I am glad you find joy in this film. I, however, am not one of those types of people. I’ll re-watch the first Ted to find happiness watching a drunken talking teddy bear.


The Verdict: Watch on Cable.

Comments

Popular Posts