Boy Meet Girl (New York Edition)

Manhattan Love Story

Yes I know that I am reviewing another RomCom sitcom, so I will try to make this short and somewhat sweet.

Meet Peter: He works for his father at a trophy-making business. He also likes women.

Meet Dana: Newly moved to Manhattan to pursue her dream of working in the literary business. She also likes purses.

Now let us see what happens when these two are set up on a blind date by mutual friends.

I know I probably didn’t stick to any form of paragraph structure with that last bit, but…oh well. Dana is played by the sweet and funny Analeigh Tipton (Crazy, Stupid, Love), who does her best to give Dana an innocence and likability for the audience to connect to. She succeeds at this, but it’s her co-star, or rather the way he is written I had a problem with. Peter is portrayed by Jake McDorman (Greek). Now Peter is very chauvinistic and McDorman plays it well, but I could have sworn we have moved on from this stereotype in romantic comedies. Peter spends the first five minutes of the pilot internally speaking about women’s breasts and making a checklist of which ones he would have sex with. Really?! I don’t know about you but I would like my 9 year old son to grow up a little more sophisticated than that. Speaking of internal monologue, that is the hook for this show. We, the audience, get to hear what the two leads are thinking. This provides some of the best lines, especially from Tipton’s Dana who seems a little more sarcastic than what she really seems.
The show wasn’t terrible, just hope they change McDorman’s character a little. Then again, opposites do attract. Like Selfie from the previous review, check out Manhattan Love Story if you would like a relaxing half hour of TV.



The Verdict: Worth Your Time.

Comments

Popular Posts