Playing the Orchestra

Steve Jobs

So back in January of 2014, I wrote a short little review on a film titled Jobs (as seen here). The film that I reviewed was a tale of a man with vision and sometimes arrogance. Of course this was the behind the scenes look at this man because what the general populous knows of this genius is the technology he bestowed onto the world and gave us things that we didn’t know we wanted. Now here I am, two years later, writing another review on a movie about the same person (*sigh*). Ladies and gentlemen, Steve Jobs.

Unlike the first film about Steve Jobs (here played by Michael Fassbender X-Men: Days of Future Past) which follows Jobs’ life, this film is about 3 defining moments within Jobs’ career. The movie however shows the backstage (literally) conversations that are happening right before these events. These 3 events are also unveilings and/or launches of new products by Jobs. The first is the reveal of the Macintosh computer in 1984. Jump four years and a firing, Jobs is running his new company and is launching his new computer NeXT in 1988. Jumping ahead again and Steve Jobs is CEO of Apple once again and we see the launch of the first iMac in 1998.

I admit that I am a little conflicted with this film. I loved the performances by the cast and the direction was great, but I was definitely taken back by the story and the depiction of Jobs himself. Now I never knew the man personally so I am not offended by this, but I am just wondering if screenwriter Aaron Sorkin (The Social Network) used the same templet he used for Mark Zuckerberg (founder of Facebook) and applied it to this film. Jobs, in this film, come across mostly as an ass, out to prove that he is never wrong. There are some more tender moments in the film when it comes to Jobs and his daughter, but mostly Jobs is out to prove to the world that he is the greatest.

Spearheading that crusade is Fassbender and his relentless performance of Jobs. Fassbender really takes the words that Sorkin as written and magnified Jobs into this self-righteous man, but does it in a way that makes you want to like him very badly. I loved Kate Winslet’s (The Dressmaker) heartwarming take on Jobs’ personal assistant Joanna Hoffman. Hoffman is Jiminy Cricket to Jobs’ Pinocchio and plays his conscience with the utmost compassion, yet edge that sometimes it pulls Jobs out of the sky. I was also impressed with Seth Rogan (The Night Before) and his very limited take on Steve Wozniak. Though Rogan is not on screen very long, he takes command of the minutes that he does have. Through the time you can see Rogan building from a timid bystander of Jobs to taking him head on over the years. Rogan demands respect in this film and I gladly give it to him.

I think what I liked most about director Danny Boyle’s (Slumdog Millionaire) vision of this film was the different camera angles and blocking he used for the film. Known for his unique style in film, Boyle gives the audience a different look at the characters many times throughout the film and creating a different look and style for each event depicted in the film. When conducting business Fassbender is shot from below giving him this air of higher authority, however when shot with his daughter they become almost even within the shot bringing Fassbender’s Jobs down to Earth.

Even after writing this review, I am still conflicted with this film. The film was good and worth watching, but I am not sure why Jobs was portrayed as harshly as he was in this film. Oh well, I guess somethings are for me not to understand. Check out the film for the magnificent performances and distinctive direction. I would also recommend it for the touching moments between father and daughter.


The Verdict: Worth Your Time.  





Comments

Popular Posts