'Earth'-lings

Last Man on Earth

So this entry is somewhat a continuation of my last review. This review will cover FOX's new comedy that also premiered on Sunday March 1st. Though from the title of the show, I am going to assume that you all can guess on what the show is about. With that assumption out there I am going to skip over the synopsis and go right into my opinion.

I am on the fence about this show for multiple reasons. To start with the positives, this show has its moments of hilarity and the concept is intriguing to say the least. Will Forte (Saturday Night Live) has great comedic timing and meshes well with Kristen Schaal (The Daily Show), who seems to be the last woman on Earth. However these characters have been done to death in one form or another. Forte's Will Miller is a slob of a man-child and Schaal plays Carol, a by-the-book stickler for the rules, nag type of woman. Are we not tired of these types of characters yet? I understand the want to put two opposites on the show, but I think they could have found two other types of personalities. Don't get me wrong, the show has good writing and the acting was done well; it even made me laugh out loud at times. I just don't comprehend is the need for these characters.

Though, people will watch and enjoy the crude humor (its one crude joke away from being on HBO) that the show so eloquently brings. I am sure that the writers have something up their sleeve for this show because I don't know how long I could watch these two before I changed the channel. Something tells me that this show will last for a while and grow a pretty sizable cult following.

For those of you that enjoy FOX comedies like Brooklyn Nine-Nine and Family Guy. I am sure this will fit well on your DVR.



The Verdict: Watch for the comedy, not the characters. Prediction--Here for the long haul.

Comments

Popular Posts