RomCom in a Sitcom


A to Z 

Well ladies and gentlemen, one of the major television networks (NBC) has brought us another sitcom about the ups and downs of love with characters in their late 20s or early 30s. A to Z chronicles the relationship of Andrew and Zelda from beginning to end. Is there a twist to this story? Nope, not really. I am guessing that NBC is hoping the writers can make these characters so charming, that we, the audience, will keep watching anyway.

Now, I understand that I am coming across as a tad cynical, so I do apologize. Fact is that I actually liked the pilot episode (which can be viewed on www.nbc.com).  These characters are pretty darn charming and a bit different than most other TV couples. Where most male characters shy away from love and commitment, Andrew (Ben Feldman Mad Men) craves it. In fact he likes the idea so much he works for an internet dating site to help other couples find their true love. Zelda (Cristin Milioti How I Met Your Mother) is the character that avoids love at all costs. Both actors played their respective characters well and made them very likable.

I really did like how the writers and creator, Ben Queen (Cars 2) set up this first episode because they give you a taste of what these characters are like and do a great job of getting the audience excited to follow them on their journey. The writers do so much in 22 minutes to bring the audience into this world.

I do understand that I normally write a synopsis in these reviews, but there really isn’t anything to say. This is the first episode,  Andrew and Zelda meet and so begin their relationship. But believe me, the episode is pretty good.

The Verdict: Worth Your Time.

Comments

Popular Posts